Monday, January 31, 2011

Should domination be shown by demeaning?

I could only fume at this news. Yes, it is most likely that the students were at fault. Yes, it is most likely that they had involved in illegal and fraudulent activities. Yes, 'they' are a superior nation and these students are dependent on 'it'. Yes, they are immigrants. But, is this the way to treat them?

Can't the tags be put as arm bands? as waist belts? as wrist bands? Why on ankles? Even mentally challenged and hysteric persons will be rarely treated as 'beasts'. I am glad they were not 'collared'. In an age when hand cuffs are considered to be demeaning - ankle tags? After all 'they' are the masters here..

Will fume more later.. And I will take back my words if I find their action reasonable..

Update on March 12 2011
It was interesting to see this after a few weeks ( a team of Indian American scientists developing an alternative to radio tags)
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/indianamerican-scientists-develop-alternative-to-radio-tags/article1533660.ece

3 comments:

  1. I know a couple of students who are studying there, and though I feel bad for them, but I also know that the reason they joined there is to work directly without "masters" or whatever. Ankle tags are very common here in US, but people from india, where pride is more important than reason, who take the fact of even asked to come to police station as great shame, I can imagine the way the sensational journalism is reported. Its a huge scam. Everyone knows how we find loop holes in a system, everyone kows the widespread "consultancies" , faking experience etc. We should not exploit an opportunity, and when one does, they should expect the "reward" from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do understand and accept 'reward' for 'actions'.. Ankle tags is new to me.. For whomever it is, they could be easily substituted is my argument

    ReplyDelete
  3. In news today, the US authorities with home-land security have assured that the students will be treated properly. I feel sorry for students who were not involved in this scam and yet have to go thorough all this pain, more so for their parents back in India.

    ReplyDelete